Power – The Industry

Power – The Industry

  • What do I do if I smell gas?

    If you think you can smell gas and may have a gas leak, or are worried about one of your appliances, call the Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999. You can also call this number if you’re worried about one of your appliances giving off carbon monoxide (CO), but remember that you cannot see, smell or hear CO.

    If you smell gas but you are not in immediate danger:

    • Call National Grid's Gas Emergency Service Freephone number 0800 111 999 – from a landline at a different property or using a mobile phone, away from the leak
    • Open all the doors and windows
    • Don’t smoke, light a match or any other naked flame
    • Don’t turn lights on or off and avoid using other electrical switches and appliances as this could trigger an explosion.

    If you or your family are in immediate danger, exit the premises immediately and call 0800 111 999.

  • What happens if there is a power cut or meter fault?

    First, check if there’s a real emergency, like a live wire, that needs immediate attention.

    Keep well clear of any live wires. Do not touch any part of your meter.

    Call your Network Distributor quickly and get the problem resolved straight away.

    You can find out who your Network Distributor is by going to www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator

    Alternatively, you can find a map of the Network Distributors and their phone numbers at http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html   

    If your Network Distributor identifies there's no problem with your supply, there could be a fault internally and you’ll need to call a qualified electrician.

  • Suspect energy theft?

    Energy theft, or meter tampering, is where someone deliberately alters their gas or electricity meter so it doesn’t record their usage properly.

    It’s a criminal offence which can lead to a fine and 5 years in prison, but more importantly it’s extremely dangerous. Tampering with a home’s energy supply can put the safety of people in the property and surrounding area at risk.

    If you think someone is stealing energy or tampering with their meter, we need to know. Just call us on 0800 009 3719*.


    Other ways to report energy theft

    United Kingdom Revenue Protection Agency

    Stay energy safe - report energy crime

  • Where does my power come from?

    For further details see our Fuel Mix Disclosure.