Buying gas and electricity
How do I pay for my energy?
You can choose from different ways to pay for your energy:
- By debit or credit card – we accept Visa, and Mastercard. You can set this up when you switch to Powershop, and the money will be taken from your debit or credit card when you are billed or when you buy energy yourself in our online shop.
- By direct debit – you can set this up when you switch to Powershop, and the money will be debited from your bank account when you are billed or when you buy energy yourself in our online shop.
We’ll then use this payment method when an auto-payment is created on your account.
For Powershop Pro customers: You can pay for your power before or after you use it – it’s up to you. Generally, payments are scheduled for seven working days after we have purchased power on your behalf, except payments made via direct debit which will be taken 10 working days after we have purchased power for you. These are called ‘scheduled payment dates’.
Can I change the date of a payment?
If a scheduled payment date (a payment on your account triggered by Powershop) doesn’t suit, you can change the date by giving us a call or through your account. You can do this by logging in to your online account and going to ‘Settings’. Select ‘Account Preferences’ then click on ‘Move Payment Date’ and follow the instructions. This button will only appear when a payment has been scheduled.
How do I buy energy with Powershop Pro?
There are two ways to buy energy – either you sit back and let Powershop buy it on your behalf, or you get involved and buy it in our online shop (or on our mobile app). It’s always best to make the most of the savings you get from buying our regular special Powerpacks.
- Buy your own energy: Login to the shop online or our smartphone app and top up your account with whatever Powerpacks you choose and we will email you a receipt after each purchase.
- Let Powershop buy your energy for you: If you want to leave it to Powershop to buy energy on your behalf, you don’t have to do anything. Just keep using it as normal and we’ll send you a monthly email showing you how much you’ve used and how much we will debit through your preferred payment method. However, if you do this, you won’t get the savings from our Powerpacks, and will be paying our standard prices.
- Make a payment without buying a Powerpack: If your account has a negative balance you can add a few pounds without having to buy Powerpacks. Just login to Powershop, go to ‘Settings’, select ‘Account Preferences’ then click on ‘Add Money’ and fill in the details.
Will I be charged extra if I pay by credit card?
No, Powershop don’t charge transaction or convenience fees.
If you choose to pay by debit or credit card a £1 pre-authorisation transaction will be charged to your card. This is just to verify your card, so there is no actual cost. Once your card has been verified it will disappear. With VISA debit cards, this transaction may be reapplied each day for up to 10 days before it is cleared.